RobT
17 Posts
wrote on 20.07.17 at 19:20
Link to this post
So, yesterday I had automated recordings of radio shows land, woot!:-)

Now I wonder: I would like to get these to show up in an RSS feed so that I can use a tool like RSSRadio to listen to them on the go. I don't know much about that, so I wonder if anyone here has experience with it?

Thanks,
Rob T

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 25.07.17 at 20:29 last edited by alex on 25.07.17 at 20:30
Link to this post
This will be complicated to setup… The recorded files need to be made available for access from the internet, maybe they need to be converted to a podcast format, and additionally they need to be published to the RSS feed. This is possible but not easy.
LG/Best regards, Alex

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations."
- George Orwell

D1734FA178BF7D5AE50CB1AD54442494

RobT
17 Posts
wrote on 06.08.17 at 08:45
Link to this post
I figured this out:-), both for a personal podcast of streamWriter shows, but also for my
own radio show.

I am good at Unix shell scripts, and worked on my Solaris machine and then under the Cygwin environment under Windows. I figured out the RSS-XML format and wrote a script to produce one based on my recordings, and found I could upload it to a few places and subscribe to it. The audio files are not magic, just regular mp3 or aac files as streamWriter writes out - the only magic is the RSS-XML file. I found I had to be picky about where to host the audio files:

- Google Drive could host my RSS-XML files, does not permit large downloads without prompting for interactive confirmation that it can skip a virus check
- Dropbox permits large downloads, but doesn't give very much space for free
- Amazon Drive seems comparable, but I didn't check it out because …
- archive.org worked, because it permits large downloads, and even has predictable URLs

I got the basics working with uploads and maintenance through the website, and then learned
to automate the uploads with the 'ia' Python-based tool. Now, every time I add or delete a file and run my script, what needs to be deleted gets deleted, what needs to be uploaded gets uploaded, and the latest RSS-XML file gets put in place. My final thing was to get this running on a set schedule under 'cron'. Pretty happy right now.

Oh, and I should say it loudly - I really like streamWriter, as it makes all of this work!

Take care,
Rob T

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 18.08.17 at 20:21
Link to this post
Wow!
I am really happy to read this. Usually people posting here do not write shell or python scripts, so my answer to this topic was a little short. The way you did it could be how I would have done it myself:-)!
LG/Best regards, Alex

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations."
- George Orwell

D1734FA178BF7D5AE50CB1AD54442494

RobT
17 Posts
wrote on 23.08.17 at 17:09 last edited by RobT on 23.08.17 at 17:10
Link to this post
I've got this working even better now - fixed some bugs, but also cleaned up the XML I generate so that it's iTunes friendly, and for my radio show feed, I am automatically grabbing my playlist from Spinitron and adding that to the episode. I'm happy to share if someone finds this useful.

My radio show podcast is here:
https://archive.org/download/CelticJourneysKRFC/celticjourneys.xml
All of the shows since mid-July were from streamWriter:-)

Rob T

piezanno
3 Posts
wrote on 09.12.17 at 02:49
Link to this post
RobT
Hi, I just finished building a similar system to record radio talk shows and publish them (to myself) and listen using RSS Radio.

Here's how I did it.
1. I installed "tinyweb" server on windows 10 (http://ccm.net/faq/2568-tinyweb-server-on-windows)
2. I have a windows shell ".bat" file that runs after every streamwriter file save that:
a. checks to see if tinyweb server is running and starts it if it is not.
b. passes the "just saved" file name to a vbScript I wrote.
3. The vbscript reads in the file name, opens a settings xml document, and then writes out an xml for every file in the show's group. Since I rewrite the file every time, if I delete any files, they aren't included on the next xml create.

Right now the code is ugly and not cleaned up, but happy to share if anyone wants it

What I really like about streamwriter is that if the station uses a playlist, I only save the actual show files and skip all the commercials!