RobT
17 Posts
wrote on 06.08.17 at 08:59
Link to this post
Hi,

My radio stations mostly stream mp3, but a few prefer "aac". .aac files are always written out
even when I set the Stream Settings -> Postprocessing -> "Format to convert recorded files to"
to MP3. Is this perhaps just because "sox" doesn't know what to do with an aac stream?
I see I could convert an aac into an m4a, but I am not sure that helps me.

This is actually not much of a problem in practice, the podcasting software I use handles
aac files fine. The downside is that if I want to clip a section out of the file, I can't
figure out how to do that.

Thanks,
Rob T

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 18.08.17 at 20:23
Link to this post
Please reply if you are still reading here (sorry for my late replies btw). We could look at this problem together.
LG/Best regards, Alex

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations."
- George Orwell

D1734FA178BF7D5AE50CB1AD54442494

RobT
17 Posts
wrote on 23.08.17 at 16:55
Link to this post
I'm still here:-)

An update - I have one AAC stream (CKUA in Alberta Canada) which has song metadata.
I find that the songs are all converted to mp3 if I have "Save separated tracks"
set, but that the main stream of the two-hour show is not converted. I'm happy
to work further with you. The stream URL for this station is:
http://ckua.streamon.fm/player/index.php?username=CKUA&stream=44k

I can live with this, as I am not usually editing things out of the main stream.

Rob T

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 24.08.17 at 21:09
Link to this post
The stream url does not work at the moment. Do you have another url where I could reproduce this problem? I will try the provided url at the weekend again if I don't forget it.
LG/Best regards, Alex

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations."
- George Orwell

RobT
17 Posts
wrote on 26.08.17 at 19:33
Link to this post
Rats, you're right. I can click on my streamWriter entry and listen, but I am not sure how to extract the link that streamWriter is actually using. "Open stream" kicks a link like this to Windows Media Player, which WMP doesn't play and which streamWriter doesn't like either:

http://streamwriter.org:80/en/streamdb/getplaylist/list.m3u?id=989103

Rob T

RobT
17 Posts
wrote on 26.08.17 at 19:45
Link to this post
Much better - I found this in their FAQ, and it works:

High quality AAC+ stream:
ckua.streamon.fm:8000/CKUA-32k.aac

I am reminded that they also have an mp3 stream if I want it.

Rob T

RobT
17 Posts
wrote on 26.08.17 at 19:59
Link to this post
One more amusing thing about this stream - I recorded a show last night and my settings had
"Save separated tracks" selected. streamWriter shows an entry I have seen before that is odd:

Thanks For Your Support - Ckua Radio (3).aac 17179859184.00 GB 1086…

The actual file on disk is zero bytes. If I play the show from the top recorded song, play will stop here. All of the other saved tracks were mp3, so I wonder if something went sideways when the playlist entry changed rapidly.

Rob T

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 28.08.17 at 13:13
Link to this post
It seems like the mentioned streams do not broadcast title information so streamWriter will never save seperated tracks. Conversion into another format will not happen because that only applies to single tracks and not the whole stream recording. I think that's the problem here.
LG/Best regards, Alex

- George Orwell

RobT
17 Posts
wrote on 30.08.17 at 01:31
Link to this post
CKUA definitely includes song title information on at least the shows I care about, it's one of the few streams I follow that does.

Why would format conversion not apply to the saved stream? Like I saw, this is probably OK, it's just not what I would expect.

Rob T

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 07.09.17 at 00:58
Link to this post
I recorded some titles from the URL you mentioned last and every file gets converted to MP3. Maybe this is a problem with the stream's settings? Could you configure a log file, record some titles and when the problem happens post the log file here?
Not postprocessing recorded stream files (opposed to single tracks) was a design decision a long time ago to make things easier for me I think:-)
LG/Best regards, Alex

- George Orwell

RobT
17 Posts
wrote on 09.09.17 at 02:04
Link to this post
OK, I get *.mp3s for individual tracks, I'm just mainly not interested in the individual tracks as I listen to the stream itself. I'm OK with this as it is.

Rob T