JoeBeauchamp
1 Post
wrote on 01.04.17 at 19:25
Link to this post
I spent a ton of time trying to figure out what I was doing wrong to automatically record a radio station from 8 to 11 weekly. After sifting through a bunch of comments here, I see the issue is sort of addressed but not fixed.
––-
FYI, I read the "Before posting" and saw that the help URL gets a "fail" for a printout.
––-
A workaround for the scheduler issue would be some way to clear the error that streamwriter left something undone and do you want to use it. Windows 10 has the maddening "feature" that no matter what, you cannot stop it from doing updates and deciding to reboot. I've had it even knock me off - it is supposed to at least wait until "later" when nothing is happening. Regardless, it is stupid and does force reboots. This means once streamwriter is running and a reboot happens, it will forever sit there upon startup with that "do you want to use xxx" message and never work again until you manually answer that question.

I've given the reason why this is death on Windows 10. But also I tried using streamwriter to replace a very old version of ReplayRadio to simply record a weekly radio show. Of course, quick manual tests showed it worked great, later finding that it really worked just one time.
Instead of having streamwriter run forever, I did as before and had it scheduled to start right before the program and then several hours later let the windows scheduler kill streamwriter after it had finished recording. So, in effect, I always simulated what Windows 10 will do to streamwriter after its next update (So running streamwriter forever on Windows 10 wouldn't be workable anyway).

There seems to be no way to clear the situation. Suggestions: a command line when executed could tell streamwriter to exit (and in so doing, also clear the deadly "do you want to" condition - why not?); or a setting that says "too bad, never ask if I want to save the non-existant file, just run"; or a command line when executed clears the nasty status that streamwriter has set (before it is run again so the question does not come up); or a command line that says start streamwriter and clear the blocking status condition. Etc..?

I looked for some xml/ini/xxx file to maybe manipulate myself. It appears that there is just one big dat file for control, and messing with that would probably be crazy.
––––-
I did find it confusing and expect that things just don't work for the scheduler when this error message pops up, because if I say, "Yes", it does not start recording even though it is during the time streamwriter should be recording. I then start it by hitting Record on the line describing the radio station, but then must manually hit stop, so there seems to be no memory of what was supposed to be scheduled.

Yeah, that non-existant error is a death blow to the scheduler. As it stands, after recording and the system killing the task, I must start streamwriter, answer the question then exit via the exit button before streamwriter is scheduled to run again. Anything else just makes the scheduler dead forever. Right?
––––-

Other than that, streamwriter looks pretty sweet. Thanks for all your effort in making an otherwise very nice program!

SidecarBob
33 Posts
wrote on 20.05.17 at 21:26
Link to this post
That's odd. I am running SW 5.4.0.2 with Win10 14393.1066 and it is doing a scheduled recording as I type this.

I generally leave SW running because I like its player better than Groove Music but I have Task Scheduler set to wake the computer and launch SW a few minutes before it is scheduled to start recording and I have tested to make sure that it will work if I close SW.