Rixnox
6 Posts
wrote on 29.05.13 at 17:09
Link to this post
Hi there, I really appreciate your efforts for developing such a tool.

Here are my first thoughts:

- Add an option to run the program automatically at Windows boot time. Good for scheduled tasks if the computer has rebooted

- In the scheduler (streams), add an option to choose what weekdays will be scheduled. Mostly on daily recordings it will be useful to allow Monday to Friday, excluding Saturdays and Sundays

- In the scheduler (streams) allow choosing title/filenames settings per each schedule. Can happen that you may plan multiple schedules for the same Internet radio, on the same date. Adding this feature would allow each recording to have the a stream name, the program name (user selectable in the schedule settings)

Fuzzlix
44 Posts
wrote on 29.05.13 at 19:18
Link to this post

Hi, Rixnox.
Add an option to run the program automatically at Windows boot time. Good for scheduled tasks if the computer has rebooted
I put Streamwriter im my start menu / autostart folder. This way it starts up (minimized to tray), when i log in. I know it is not exactly what you suggested. You want to run stremwriter as a service. Running as a service i cant see the program window. this is probably not, what you want ;)
logging in your account automatically when your pc starts, is probably the trick. (in case you want to switch on the power button and run away as fast as possible) :)

In the scheduler (streams), add an option to choose what weekdays will be scheduled. Mostly on daily recordings it will be useful to allow Monday to Friday, excluding Saturdays and Sundays
You should try weekly instead of dayly. Now you can chose one weekday. If you want to record from monday to friday, you need to create 5 entries in the sceduler - one for each weekday.

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 29.05.13 at 20:39
Link to this post
I put Streamwriter im my start menu / autostart folder. This way it starts up (minimized to tray), when i log in.

How did you manage to start it in minimized to the tray? Because in streamWriter itself is no option to set this behavior.

I know it is not exactly what you suggested. You want to run stremwriter as a service. Running as a service i cant see the program window. this is probably not, what you want ;)
logging in your account automatically when your pc starts, is probably the trick. (in case you want to switch on the power button and run away as fast as possible) :)

Yes, that's right. I thought about offering a version of streamWriter where the "core" runs as a service and the GUI talks to it… But that would be too much work because there are not that many people demanding a service I think.
LG/Best regards, Alex

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations."
- George Orwell

D1734FA178BF7D5AE50CB1AD54442494

Fuzzlix
44 Posts
wrote on 29.05.13 at 21:07
Link to this post
Hi Alex.
How did you manage to start it in minimized to the tray? Because in streamWriter itself is no option to set this behavior.
Open your start menu … find your autostart subfolder … mouse-right-click to open context menu … open … now you have a new explorer window showing the content of your autostart folder

Open a second explorer window and find your Streamwriter.exe. Drag and drop your Streamwriter.exe into your Autostart folder while keeping CHRL and SHIFT pressed. This way you place a Link into the Autostart folder instead a copy of your exe.

Now right-click on this new link and choose Properties. A options dialog pops up and you find a option inside to start minimized.

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 29.05.13 at 22:08
Link to this post
Now right-click on this new link and choose Properties. A options dialog pops up and you find a option inside to start minimized.

I'm impressed. I would not have thought that streamWriter handles this. Nice that it works that way, so no need for me to implement something new:-)
LG/Best regards, Alex

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations."
- George Orwell

Rixnox
6 Posts
wrote on 29.05.13 at 00:56
Link to this post
Yes running like a service prevents exiting application on user logout for example. The user interface can/must be run on demnd, however the scheduler should run as a service.An alternative could be to create items in the Windows Scheduled Tasks, maybe this could be accomplished forma command line switches.

Fuzzlix
44 Posts
wrote on 30.05.13 at 02:40 last edited by Fuzzlix on 30.05.13 at 02:40
Link to this post
Yes running like a service prevents exiting application on user logout for example
Why you want to log out? you can use the key sequence WIN+L to go to the login screen. There you may log in a second user (while the first user keeps running in background) or simply go away from your computer.
Reworking Stremwriter as a service prog with a gui frontend is a LOT work without great benefit in functionality.

Rixnox
6 Posts
wrote on 30.05.13 at 13:06 last edited by Rixnox on 30.05.13 at 13:07
Link to this post
There are many reasons why the scheduler should be always running, the computer may be down for a power loss and rebooted automatically, a Windows update may reboot the PC, you may inadvertently logout forgetting about the schedules…

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 31.05.13 at 05:02
Link to this post
I can understand the desire for a feature like this and I would like this, too. But it is very much work and only some people need this. The limited time I have for this project prevents me to implement something like this:-|sorry.
LG/Best regards, Alex

- George Orwell

Rixnox
6 Posts
wrote on 31.05.13 at 11:52
Link to this post
Alex maybe you could enable a few command line switches such as:
/URL:<streaming-url>
/F:<filename> (allowing in filename %s %a %t %d, etc)
/D:<hh:mm> (recording duration)

This would allow to start streamWriter and perform recordings from command line; coupled with Windows built in Scheduled tasks it would allow greater flexibility with minimum efforts on the development side.

As for the many other settings, maybe you could set a default list of settings, editable per "job" in such a way each recording may have its own parameters while global default settings exist. The global defualt settings would be used:
- as a template for new recordings in the UI
- as a default for command line tasks

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 02.06.13 at 02:39
Link to this post
with minimum efforts on the development side.

That is much work that will be used by a very few people only. A true remote conrol for streamWriter will not be implemented, I'm sorry. There are a few parameters for the command line, see here ("How can command line arguments be used?"). I could add a parameter to stop recording/playing a specific stream if you manage to use the parameters explained there, but parameters to configure settings in detail is too much work.
LG/Best regards, Alex

- George Orwell