ZhenyOK
3 Posts
wrote on 05.02.13 at 23:15
Link to this post
Hallo!
First of all, many thanks for this great software (which I found practically by accident after checking a couple of dozens of others)! It does almost all things that I need.
However, I think one option will be valuable:
If we are saving a song and an existing file with the same name was saved last (i.e. just before commercials and the like), then append a new portion to it (instead of keeping only one or adding "(1)" to file name). You can of course merge the portions manually but it is rather inconvenient and needs special care to keep the ID3 tags.

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 07.02.13 at 15:01
Link to this post
Do you mean appending the audio-data from the second recording to the first? I don't know if that makes sense for many people.. additionally that is no easy thing because it likely requires to re-encode all data (loss of quality, encoding takes time..).
LG/Best regards, Alex

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations."
- George Orwell

D1734FA178BF7D5AE50CB1AD54442494

ZhenyOK
3 Posts
wrote on 11.02.13 at 11:29
Link to this post
Oh yes, I mean appending the data. Of course it would not make sense for all people in all situations – that's why I suggest it as a user-selectable option, and only when new portion has the same title as last saved song.. The situation I have in mind is some DJ sets and the like – they are sometimes interrupted by commercial breaks and you end up with "DJ Abc - Live at DEF.mp3", "DJ Abc - Live at DEF (1).mp3" etc.
In fact reencoding is not needed, you just append new frames and adjust the headers – there are some standalone 'mp3 merge' softwares that do just that.
Alternative approach may be to skip the commercials during the recording (using the 'Ignore stream title changes' feature)

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 15.02.13 at 23:37
Link to this post
This may work as described when all saved tracks were recorded from the same station. My thoughts included recordings from different streams into one file which may result in problems because one stream might have CBR and another one could have VBR - I'm not sure if simple appending of frames would work here. For the (rare happening?) scenario you described this may be an option but since I would have to take into account that all songs that get appended to one file come from one station this will be very complicated because the "recording engine" does not know which station recorded a specified file, only the GUI knows. I keep this in mind but don't wait for this feature to get introduced. It is really much work and not many people will be using this feature.
LG/Best regards, Alex

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations."
- George Orwell

D1734FA178BF7D5AE50CB1AD54442494

ZhenyOK
3 Posts
wrote on 08.03.13 at 10:45
Link to this post
But different streams are usually (and by default) saved to different folders so this should be safe? For the clubmusic stations like DI.FM it's quite common situation – after a few hours recording you get several DJ-sets each split into 2-4 fragments.
What about the alternative approach i.e. can the recording engine just skip the commercials (using the current feature to ignore title changes like 'This show will continue after the break' and the like)?