AWKdF
2 Posts
wrote on 02.08.11 at 20:26
Link to this post
No Icon. Does not show in Programs. Does not show in Desktop. Does not show anything in Windows Explorer. Where is the Program? If I can not find it, how can I delete it if I wanted to? I can not even start it because I can not find it.
Window 7 Professional 32 bit.
i7 3.3 gig processor.
IE8

Thanks.

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 02.08.11 at 21:26
Link to this post
The setup places streamWriter into %PROGRAMFILES%\streamWriter by default. It can be uninstalled by using control panel -> "Programs and Features". I don't know why no entries in the start menu were created, I am using Inno Setup to handle that and never heard of this problem before…

Greetings
LG/Best regards, Alex

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations."
- George Orwell

D1734FA178BF7D5AE50CB1AD54442494

Radiohoerer
205 Posts
wrote on 02.08.11 at 22:04
Link to this post
Hi AWKdF!

May I ask you which version did you download? If it was one of the ZIP-files (portable Version or svn), then all the software is in the packed exe-file. All you have to do is unpacking this exe-file (e.g. with 7-Zip or a packer of your choice) and put the exe-file (within a folder, but you don't have to) somewhere on your HDD.

If you want to have an icon on your desktop, then right-click on the exe-file and choose Send to –-> Desktop. Et voilà!

Rest is as usual.
LG

Radiohoerer

AWKdF
2 Posts
wrote on 03.08.11 at 00:19
Link to this post
I Downloaded Version 2.1.0.1 build 221.
I downloaded the Zip version from this website. Not the portable. No program File folder was created, no icon was created and it does not show up in Programs and features. The only folder I ever found after installing the program (twice I might add) is a empty folder residing in Computer/ /My Computer name Win7 / Documents and settings / My Computer name /Appdata / Roaming / streamwriter. Maybe it never installed correctly, so I tried the last posts suggestion and I now have a folder I created in Program Files, and a shortcut on my desktop. But I still have nothing to remove it.

Radiohoerer
205 Posts
wrote on 04.08.11 at 12:55 last edited by Radiohoerer on 04.08.11 at 13:02
Link to this post
Hi AWKdF!

Ok, first of all let me explain you a little bit.

There are two kinds of exe-files concerning software:

1.) Exe-files, that contain the word install or setup in their file-names. To install the software on your computer you have to double-click on that exe-file. During install process registry entries are made, dll-files are registered, folders are created etc. And ofcourse there's a file called uninstall being responsible for the uninstallation and linking to an entry which you double-click to uninstall that software.

2.) Exe-files, that contain all the software in one file (this exe-file). So this software version is usually called portable version. The way you have to treat these exe-files I described in my previous post. If you want to "uninstall" such exe-files you only have to delete the folder (if you have moved the exe-file into such) or the exe-file itself to remove the software from your computer, because there are no registry entries that have to be deleted and no dll-files that have to be unregistered and deleted and other files and folders that have to be removed/deleted from your computer.

I hope that will help you to understand the differencies.

Greetings

Radiohoerer

Edit reason: Typo
LG

Radiohoerer