DrHow
1 Post
wrote on 18.06.15 at 09:38
Link to this post
I just starting using streamWriter, and I am very favorably impressed! It seems very powerful, yet easy to configure.

I may be missing something, in which case please clue me in. However, I find the program's policy of filing songs in folders according to the stream from which they were recorded to be of no utility to me. (If I should ever really care, that information is already tagged onto each file in any case.) Ideally I would like an option to have a separate folder for each artist and file by artist name.

I could even imagine a file hierarchy which includes genre above artists and album name below artist. Though genre and album may not be tagged onto the broadcasts themselves, this should be information the server could access before a song is filed. Is there some reason why the server cannot provide the tag values automatically for any song it knows about?

The above may be a bit ambitious. A simpler thing that would still help would be a Move option on the Saved Songs list. Then one could sort by Filename which would group artists, select a contiguous set by the same artist, and move the whole set to an artist folder in one step. Chasing them down in the multitude of folders by stream name is unnecessarily time consuming. (Indeed, without a feature to support filing by other criteria, the first thing I would do is to flatten the directory hierarchy so that all the files were in single folder. I can automate that, but there is a sense in which the Saved Songs list already effectively does this.)

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 21.06.15 at 03:43
Link to this post
Hi,

in the settings window (and stream-specific settings) go to "Filenames" as seen here. Use "%artist%\%artist% - %title%" or "%artist%\%title%" as pattern for saved songs so the folder name will be the artist's name where the tracks will be saved to. It's not possible to use the genre for folder- and filenames because streams broadcast their genre in different notations and often the announced genre does not match a song's genre. Other placeholders (album, …) are not possible because streamWriter does not know about these. Regarding the last part of your post, I won't introduce changes to the "Saved songs" tab because this would be too much work…
LG/Best regards, Alex

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations."
- George Orwell

D1734FA178BF7D5AE50CB1AD54442494