Marc
90 Posts
wrote on 19.04.14 at 02:18
Link to this post
The title sounds very vague, so let me elaborate.
Before StreamWriter I used Radiosure, and once I made the switch there are some differences in how the resultings songs sound. But Radiosure aside, the point is if I listen the stream directly in Winamp or Foobar with EQ disabled it sounds different than StreamWritter.
If I listen directly from StreamWriter the effect is like "double" more marked compared to listening a StreamWriter recorded song using Winamp or Foobar.
At some point is not necesarily an unwanted difference. For example I prefer StreamWriter's sound for downtempo radio stations.
Ok now to the point is, would it be possible to spot the difference/cause of the difference in sound and be able to set it so that it sounds as if listening in any audioplayer directly to the stream?
And second an equally important would it be possible to set already recorded tracks to sound without that difference?
Bests and thanks in advance!!
Marc

PD: I used 4.9.01 version of SteamWriter and Radiosecure 2.0.886.0, Winamp 6.65 and Foobar1.1.11/1.1.5,but as far as I can remember the difference hasn't changed between versions.Also I apologize for expressing myself unclearly or with typos,I'm having a hughe headache.

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 20.04.14 at 19:24
Link to this post
Hi Marc!

I never heard myself that there are differences, but that does not mean there aren't any. I don't know the cause of this problem. I am no professional when it comes to decoding mp3-audio, I am using the BASS-library to playback streams and recorded files and I cannot tell you where the differences between this decoder and the Winamp/Foobar:-|… All I can say is that streamWriter supplies the original data from the stream/file directly to BASS, everything else is not under my control.

Kind regards,

Alex
LG/Best regards, Alex

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations."
- George Orwell

D1734FA178BF7D5AE50CB1AD54442494

Marc
90 Posts
wrote on 22.04.14 at 06:49 last edited by Marc on 22.04.14 at 06:51
Link to this post
Hi Alex!
Unfortunately I'm not a professional/expert either. But it might be just a matter of asking one/or in the right place/forum? I honestly…
All I can tell right now is that both StreamWriter and Radiosure use un4seen audio routines.
which version does Streamwriter use? I checked the Temp folder and is apparently 2.4.10 wich is the version I find in un4seen too.
Checked Radiosure's folder and it displays a 2.4.5.0 version of the bass.dll and there's also a bass_fx.dll version 2.4.5.0 as well.
on the encodinding side there's a lame_enc.dll wich lists no version but has a size of 390 KB.
Perhaps there's an expert at HydrogenAudio Forums that could tell more/the cause
or maybe some other open-source proyect like Audacity.

Bests and thanks in advance!!
Marc

Marc
90 Posts
wrote on 01.05.14 at 03:42
Link to this post
Wow I can't belive I missed it…It was all my fault. I had the equalizer enabled with the first two bars slightly increased… :(
But I thought the EQ was only for the player. Does it affect the recordings as well?
Odd because now recorded sons in Streamwriter and Radiosure sound the same.
Aside :embarrasement: :D if it affects recording songs I may have to re-record all

Marc
90 Posts
wrote on 01.05.14 at 03:42 last edited by Marc on 01.05.14 at 03:43
Link to this post
Dup…

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 02.05.14 at 07:38
Link to this post
Hi Marc,

nice to hear that the problem is found:-)!

The EQ affects only the different possibilities for playback in streamWriter (streams, recorded songs, songs in the cut-view), it has no influence on the recordings.
LG/Best regards, Alex

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations."
- George Orwell

D1734FA178BF7D5AE50CB1AD54442494

Marc
90 Posts
wrote on 15.05.14 at 00:34
Link to this post
Hello Alex,
I apologize for not responding sooner. I've been running a series of tests and comparing recorded songs with equalization and without in an external player.
But before getting into that, I can upload a sample of a previously recorded song with equalizer enabled
and the same song recorded later with equalizer set to flat and then disabled.
Along with the settings used in the active equalizer that I found in a previous backup.
Personally I detect a difference which is according to the eq settings but more subtle than what should be. To explain myself a bit clearear If I reencode an MP3 say with Foobar and use a DSP like EQ in the processing stage, the difference in sound from the output should be more notorious.
I asked my brother who plays in a band and showed him several tracks recorded at different times ones with the EQ and ones without. (comparing the same track)
After that I selected some tracks and asked him wich of the two versions of the same song was the one recorded without EQ, and he choose the right one.
Going back to the tests I'm a bit confused (my main pc runs XP SP3) while the other (Windows 7), so I recorded at the same time in both pcs and in different networks each, the one in W7 with EQ active and modified (different from what I had set before in XP's one).
In some cases when I hear them back my main computer (which has a way better audio setup) I can hear some differences but subtle and in other cases it's really hard to tell if there are any.
I've left to try what happens if I record with EQ in another XP machine to see if that is a factor or not.
Though it would be much better if I could run more than one instance of StreamWriter in order to compare results;results; without having to colse StreamWriter with all my current recordings.
But/Though other than for testing porpuses I don't consider it something important for other StreamWriter users, so is not
a feature request ;)

And again I apologize for not responding sooner,
Bests and Kind regards,
Marc

radiodaz
45 Posts
wrote on 19.05.14 at 23:48
Link to this post
*Don't use the internal player to reference sound quality> as decent as it is> your desktop media player will sound Better playing the same track> I usually turn the Volume control on the player down as well. The Equalizer function is the best, just leave it turned off.

Marc
90 Posts
wrote on 03.06.14 at 06:10
Link to this post
I'm very througout and like to get to the end of things, even though it may not be worth the efforth. And Most users perhps wouldn't notice/care about the audio difference.
Either way, here are the tracks of the same song from the same stream, the first recorded later without EQ, and the seconf with.
This were the EQ settings:

EQBand0=18
EQBand1=16
EQBand2=15
EQBand3=15
EQBand4=15
EQBand5=15
EQBand6=15
EQBand7=14
EQBand8=13
EQBand9=12

First Tracks
https://www.mediafire.com/?ya7dl5dv70o7472

Second Track

https://www.mediafire.com/?ya7dl5dv70o7472

@radiodaz I didn't I used mostly Foobar with no EQ. I prefer not using the EQ unless it is for headphones or other scenarios. Turns out I turned on the EQ before the audio libraries were updated and it in my opinion sounded closer to the sound of Radiosure which I used back then. The problem was once the libraries were updated I completely forgot about the EQ.
Kind of similar to FF tricks in 2.x to improve speed such as pipeline connections when recent versions used even higher values than the teawks, whose in other words ultimately made FF slower in newer versions.