UweLm
4 Posts
wrote on 29.12.13 at 11:43
Link to this post
Hi Alex,
I like the software you've developed (the functionality as well as the design) - congratulations to this nice piece of software.
As a beginner (as I am) it is not so easy to record songs where the beginning and the end of the song is really included in the cutted result.
The automatic song cutting seems to be a little bit tricky (for me?). I read some forum entries about that and some other might have the same or similary porblems.
Especially finding the best setup fo the different radio stations seems to be tricky.
Often the beginning or the end is missing in a song as well as there is too much from the previous/subsequent song included. No chance to scale up the cut markers if the song was not complete.
What if the "cutted song" is not really cutted but contains the cutting positions (start/end) only and by pressing the scissor icon button the part of the (complete) stream is displayed where the cut markers are located. In this case you would have the possibility move the cutting edges to the correct/best position - or simply decide that this radio station is not suitable for recording.
Maybe this function is already included (I could not find any explanation for that) - in this case I'm sorry for the unnecessary entry in the forum.
Sorry for the poor english, I'm german but writing in english is maybe easier to read for other
users also.
A happy new year to all who reads this post early enough ;)
Kind regards
Uwe

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 31.12.13 at 03:57
Link to this post
Hi Uwe!

If I understand you right there is a function that could be what you are looking for. Record some songs from a station with automatic cutting disabled. Then open these saved files in the cut-view. In the cut-view's toolbar there is a button that looks like a wand (tooltip: "Zeige Stille…"). When clicking this button, you can set parameters and streamWriter will show you where it would have cut the song if automatic cutting is enabled. When you check the results against some songs from a station, you might find good values for automatic cutting.
The automatic cutting is a complex thing if you want to have it the best way, what streamWriter does is really simple - I am no professional in this area. Another thing is that I have limited streamWriter's development to new features that are on my personal TODO list and fixes for bugs that get reported. Hopefully my suggestion helps you in one way or another…
LG/Best regards, Alex

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations."
- George Orwell

D1734FA178BF7D5AE50CB1AD54442494

UweLm
4 Posts
wrote on 02.01.14 at 22:12
Link to this post
Hi Alex,
Hope you had a nice new years day! All the best for you and your family in 2014.
Thanks for your quick answer.
Your tip is pretty useful to decide if a stream is applicable for automatic cutting or not. Unfortunately it is not possible to find an already cutted song by a mouse click in the recorded stream (in case of the automatic cutting was not that sucessful and some parts of the song are missing).
I do not complain about the quality automatic cutting function - it is nice and works in most of the cases and depending on the stream quality. But it would be helpful to "jump" by - let's say - a right mouse click on a cutted song and a subsequent selection in the upcoming menu to the position, where the song is located in the stream. In that case the song could be "saved as" with new or changed start/end to get it as complete as possible.
But I understood that your focus is no longer on streamWriter and other things have a higher priority. That's ok and doesn't change anything on the nice piece of software youv'e created with streamWriter.
Have a nice time!
Kind regards
Uwe