gnomon
9 Posts
wrote on 30.01.23 at 09:26
Link to this post
Hi,

Why is it that, after a crash of streamWriter (cause of that: not known), this app cannot be closed, i.e., access is denied to this process, even to Windows Task Manager when attempting to do so? I cannot see there is anything left then, besides of starting Windows anew. And, of course, that is not what you want to with a lot of other apps running…

Regards,
gnomon

gnomon
9 Posts
wrote on 30.01.23 at 09:39
Link to this post
P.S. Even LockHunter could have unlocked this streamWriter process!

gnomon
9 Posts
wrote on 05.02.23 at 00:40 last edited by gnomon on 05.02.23 at 00:43
Link to this post
… and, in the event of this happpening, streamWriter even cannot be closed (terminated) through the command "wmic process where name="streamWriter.exe" call terminate", which I took note of from this website and postings: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3010971/page/2 !

(The wmic command (the command line interface of WMI) is still working (also within my version of Windows, namely Windows 11 22H2), though deprecated, and superseded by a PowerShell cmdlet, Microsoft is telling us.)

P.S. Now I see that in my previous posting "not" was omitted.

gnomon
9 Posts
wrote on 12.02.23 at 21:21
Link to this post
Well, I have downloaded the latest build of sW now: streamwriter_git_c586990.zip (of 09-02-2023), and have updated sW that way. Let us see how this will go; hopefully it is stable enough. Until now I have worked with the latest installable version of sW (of 02-10-2021), with that ongoing quirk of in no way being able to have closed the program after crashes of the very program, not even in crude, harsh ways (and the program was crashing often).

reutershagen
192 Posts
wrote on 25.02.23 at 18:51
Link to this post
Moin,
Gnomon meinte:

Why is it that, after a crash of streamWriter (cause of that: not known), this app cannot be closed, i.e., access is denied to this process, even to Windows Task Manager when attempting to do so?

In der langjährigen Nutzung konnte ich solche Probleme bisher nicht erkennen.
Abstürze waren bei mir sehr selten, das Programm war dann ganz normal beendet.

Vielleicht liegen die Fehler in diesem Fall woanders (Probleme mit dem Betriebssystem)?