SidecarBob
33 Posts
wrote on 19.08.17 at 21:15
Link to this post
Windows 10 automatically updates and then automatically reboots. If I leave the computer unattended it assumes that, since there are no keyboard/mouse inputs, it is "inactive" and decides that it is a suitable time to reboot. When that happens Streamwriter does not shut down properly and when the timer tries to re-launch Streamwriter the error message "Streamwriter did not reboot correctly" appears and it does not boot.

I have tried everything I can find on the internet to disable auto reboot but it reboots after a specified time anyway (I try to watch the notifications and close Streamwriter so that it can reboot safely but I don't always catch it). And worse, several of the updates have reverted the settings to default (allow auto reboot when inactive) without notifying you that they have been changed.

Since M$ doesn't seem to be interested in changing this inexcusable policy, is there any way to prevent Streamwriter from stalling at the error message after a forced reboot?

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 20.08.17 at 14:50 last edited by alex on 20.08.17 at 14:50
Link to this post
This might be fixed now, you just need to use the latest build:-)
LG/Best regards, Alex

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations."
- George Orwell

D1734FA178BF7D5AE50CB1AD54442494

SidecarBob
33 Posts
wrote on 29.08.17 at 23:41
Link to this post
Thanks. StreamWriter just asked for the update and after it installed I tried rebooting Windows without closing SW and when I launched SW afterward it opened without the error message.

I have also set Windows to ask before it reboots. Again. Hopefully the settings won't change after the next update. It even decided the computer was "inactive" and rebooted while I was recording once.

SidecarBob
33 Posts
wrote on 31.08.17 at 03:32
Link to this post
Well, even with Windows set to not reboot without permission it did it again. This time all I lost was the position in the program I was playing back (no big deal).

But when I re-started StreamWriter the error message opened again.

I have Version 5.4.1.0 "Tranquillo" build 758 (updated yesterday) and Win 10 version 1703 build 15063.502

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 07.09.17 at 00:25
Link to this post
Hi,

the mentioned problem occured to me while using the newest build once. It seems it happens less often but it is not completely fixed.

I did a minor modification, maybe it works now. Also I added some logging. Please download the newest build (>=759) and set a log file in the settings window in category "Advanced".
If the problem happens with that build again please send me the logfile by email, it now contains some information about what happens while windows is shutting down/rebooting.
LG/Best regards, Alex

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations."
- George Orwell

SidecarBob
33 Posts
wrote on 13.09.17 at 21:52
Link to this post
I'm having trouble getting it to update. I went to the downloads page, clicked Installable Setup, downloaded the file and ran it and it still says Build 758. Next I clicked Latest Build (revision 759), downloaded, extracted and ran it and instead of opening the installation wizard it opened streamWriter. All my settings are there but it said Build 759 but when I closed it and opened it again from the tile in my Start menu it reverted to build 758. I repeated this and it did the same thing. Very confusing.

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 13.09.17 at 22:57
Link to this post
See here at the bottom:
https://streamwriter.org/en/wiki/artikel/faq/#100

You basically have to replace your installed streamwriter.exe file with the one contained in the zip-archive of the newest build.
LG/Best regards, Alex

- George Orwell

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 22.09.17 at 22:59
Link to this post
Did updating streamWriter work?
Did the problem occur again? For me it did not happen again but I'd love to hear from you or other users…:-)
LG/Best regards, Alex

- George Orwell

SidecarBob
33 Posts
wrote on 23.09.17 at 04:59
Link to this post
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. When I remembered to check back here I restarted Windows without shutting down SW and then clicked the SW tile on my Start menu and it launched without the error message. Then I came here and found your replies so I checked and found that it was still Build 758 so I simply replaced the .exe file in Program Files>streamwriter (could it be any easier?)and it now says build 759.

I will now reboot Windows again and I'll report back if the error message appears.

BTW: I think I now have everything in Windows set to prevent it from rebooting when I don't want it to but that could change the next time I let it update.

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 25.09.17 at 21:04
Link to this post
Thanks for your feedback! If I don't hear from you regarding this issue in the next few weeks I will release a new version where the changes are integrated.

By the way, I have read your other topic ("It would be really nice if we could change the order of schedule…") but did not answer there because I want to keep it unread as a reminder for me - I think this might be doable, but it will take a while. If there is anything new I will answer there.
LG/Best regards, Alex

- George Orwell

SidecarBob
33 Posts
wrote on 01.10.17 at 05:34
Link to this post
Damn Windows Update.

To confirm, after I last posted I left StreamWriter running and rebooted the computer so that Windows forced SW to close and after Windows had re-started I clicked SW and it restarted without the error message. I figured everything was fine so I stopped worrying.

I was listening to one of the programs I recorded on Friday and left it paused at about 8PM (we are ESDST so it is 9:12 PM here as I type this). It is scheduled to record 1 hour shows starting at 11 PM on Friday and at midnight and a bunch of shows Saturday morning. We left early this morning and I when we returned and I checked to see that it had recorded I found the error message.

Windows must have decided the computer was idle and restarted shortly after I paused playback on Friday.

I checked the log and it only shows that it finished a scheduled recording on Thursday and closed the connection and the next entries are connecting to the streamWriter server when I cleared the error message and let it start tonight.

Re the other suggestion: thanks.

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 01.10.17 at 14:11
Link to this post
Please send the log by e-mail, you can find the address in the menu on the top at "about".
LG/Best regards, Alex

- George Orwell

SidecarBob
33 Posts
wrote on 13.11.17 at 23:50 last edited by SidecarBob on 13.11.17 at 00:03
Link to this post
I think I may have finally changed enough Windows settings so that it no longer shuts off on its own. At least it hasn't for a few weeks.

And I just rebooted Windows with SW running and when I started SW again it opened normally without the error message.

SidecarBob
33 Posts
wrote on 12.01.18 at 19:26
Link to this post
I just wanted to let you know: Windows seems to over ride the settings that prevent it from re-starting without permission every couple of updates but at least now StreamWriter starts properly after Windows forces it to shut down. Thanks.

alex
2538 Posts
wrote on 29.01.18 at 11:11
Link to this post
Nice to hear, thanks for the feedback :)
LG/Best regards, Alex

- George Orwell