RobT
17 Beiträge
schrieb am 20.07.17 um 19:20 Uhr
Link zu diesem Post
So, yesterday I had automated recordings of radio shows land, woot!:-)

Now I wonder: I would like to get these to show up in an RSS feed so that I can use a tool like RSSRadio to listen to them on the go. I don't know much about that, so I wonder if anyone here has experience with it?

Thanks,
Rob T

alex
2538 Beiträge
schrieb am 25.07.17 um 20:29 Uhr zuletzt bearbeitet von alex am 25.07.17 um 20:30 Uhr
Link zu diesem Post
This will be complicated to setup… The recorded files need to be made available for access from the internet, maybe they need to be converted to a podcast format, and additionally they need to be published to the RSS feed. This is possible but not easy.
LG/Best regards, Alex

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations."
- George Orwell

D1734FA178BF7D5AE50CB1AD54442494

RobT
17 Beiträge
schrieb am 06.08.17 um 08:45 Uhr
Link zu diesem Post
I figured this out:-), both for a personal podcast of streamWriter shows, but also for my
own radio show.

I am good at Unix shell scripts, and worked on my Solaris machine and then under the Cygwin environment under Windows. I figured out the RSS-XML format and wrote a script to produce one based on my recordings, and found I could upload it to a few places and subscribe to it. The audio files are not magic, just regular mp3 or aac files as streamWriter writes out - the only magic is the RSS-XML file. I found I had to be picky about where to host the audio files:

- Google Drive could host my RSS-XML files, does not permit large downloads without prompting for interactive confirmation that it can skip a virus check
- Dropbox permits large downloads, but doesn't give very much space for free
- Amazon Drive seems comparable, but I didn't check it out because …
- archive.org worked, because it permits large downloads, and even has predictable URLs

I got the basics working with uploads and maintenance through the website, and then learned
to automate the uploads with the 'ia' Python-based tool. Now, every time I add or delete a file and run my script, what needs to be deleted gets deleted, what needs to be uploaded gets uploaded, and the latest RSS-XML file gets put in place. My final thing was to get this running on a set schedule under 'cron'. Pretty happy right now.

Oh, and I should say it loudly - I really like streamWriter, as it makes all of this work!

Take care,
Rob T

alex
2538 Beiträge
schrieb am 18.08.17 um 20:21 Uhr
Link zu diesem Post
Wow!
I am really happy to read this. Usually people posting here do not write shell or python scripts, so my answer to this topic was a little short. The way you did it could be how I would have done it myself:-)!
LG/Best regards, Alex

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations."
- George Orwell

D1734FA178BF7D5AE50CB1AD54442494

RobT
17 Beiträge
schrieb am 23.08.17 um 17:09 Uhr zuletzt bearbeitet von RobT am 23.08.17 um 17:10 Uhr
Link zu diesem Post
I've got this working even better now - fixed some bugs, but also cleaned up the XML I generate so that it's iTunes friendly, and for my radio show feed, I am automatically grabbing my playlist from Spinitron and adding that to the episode. I'm happy to share if someone finds this useful.

My radio show podcast is here:
https://archive.org/download/CelticJourneysKRFC/celticjourneys.xml
All of the shows since mid-July were from streamWriter:-)

Rob T

piezanno
3 Beiträge
schrieb am 09.12.17 um 02:49 Uhr
Link zu diesem Post
RobT
Hi, I just finished building a similar system to record radio talk shows and publish them (to myself) and listen using RSS Radio.

Here's how I did it.
1. I installed "tinyweb" server on windows 10 (http://ccm.net/faq/2568-tinyweb-server-on-windows)
2. I have a windows shell ".bat" file that runs after every streamwriter file save that:
a. checks to see if tinyweb server is running and starts it if it is not.
b. passes the "just saved" file name to a vbScript I wrote.
3. The vbscript reads in the file name, opens a settings xml document, and then writes out an xml for every file in the show's group. Since I rewrite the file every time, if I delete any files, they aren't included on the next xml create.

Right now the code is ugly and not cleaned up, but happy to share if anyone wants it

What I really like about streamwriter is that if the station uses a playlist, I only save the actual show files and skip all the commercials!